- 1 onion
- 4 or 5 tomatoes
- 1 eggplant
- 2 large zucchini
- 1and half large capsicum
- Garlic, thyme basil and pepper as you like it.
In a caste iron (or very heavy) pot slow cook the thinly sliced onion in a small amount of olive oil until soft. Then add the crushed and chopped garlic and stir.
Turn heat to low but ensure the mix remains simmering. Keeping the pot covered between adding ingredients:
- chop capsicum into 2cm diced pieces, add to the pot and stir
- chop eggplant into 2cm diced pieces, add to the pot and stir
- chop zucchini into 2cm diced pieces, add to the pot and stir
- chop tomato into 1cm diced pieces, add to the pot and stir
- add a few sprigs of fresh thyme and freshly ground/cracked black pepper.
Gently simmer, occassionally stiring, until all the ingredients are well cooked and in plenty of liquid. If you end up with too much liquid - you don't want it to be soupy - remove the lid and let simmer until the liquid reduces.
Turn off heat.
Add torn basil, stir through and let sit for a few minutes before serving.